Your Guide To Understanding The Different Types Of Dave Ramsey Recommended Experts When You Need To File Your Taxes

Posted on: 15 March 2017

Since the end of January through the middle of April is usually the busiest time of the year, it is easy to choose a random tax preparation company to facilitate paying your taxes or getting your refund. However, it is important to note that you may be happier with the services that a Dave Ramsey recommended tax professional offers. Those individuals and the companies they work for may have more extensive training, which is often associated with more accurate tax returns. Therefore, when you need to be sure that the tax professional with whom you will be entrusting your information is worthy of that trust, it is a good idea to ask the following questions of each person you might consider hiring.

How Much Training Does The Tax Preparer Have?

It can be surprising to discover that many of the tax preparers who spend the better part of three months filing tax returns for their clients each year have had just a few weeks worth of training in how to do so. Given the intricacies of tax laws and the changes that occur within tax laws from one year to the next, it is essential to be sure of the knowledge and training of any professional that might be accessing your identifying and financial information.

Therefore, it is best to verify how much training the person doing your taxes has, as well as the extent of ongoing training that the company provides for returning employees. Although you might be happier with the services provided by an Enrolled Agent or Certified Public Accountant at tax time, as explained below, the next best option is a well-trained and properly informed tax preparer.

Can You Work With An Enrolled Agent Or Certified Public Accountant?

Although their presence is not required or common in many tax preparation offices, it is important to note that an Enrolled Agent, or EA, or a Certified Public Accountant, who may also be known as a CPA, typically has extra training. That extra training often results in more accurate tax returns, as identified by a recent study performed by the United States Accountability Office, which determined that the majority of randomly selected tax preparers made errors when filing tax returns for their clients.    

An EA is required to undergo extensive training, earn continuing education credits every three years, and pass complex tests in order to work in their field. A CPA must have at least a Bachelor's degree in an applicable field of study, comply with specific ethical requirements, and stay up to date with tax changes by completing continuing education credits each year. 

In conclusion, there are many people in the United States who are permitted by the Internal Revenue Service to file income tax returns for their clients. However, there can be an enormous difference from one tax preparer to the next and choosing the right person can have a significant impact on your financial and personal experience at tax time. Therefore, it's best to ask the above questions of any person you might permit to assist you with filing your taxes this year.